So sorry I have been so MIA. I have been super busy kicking my own butt in the gym for the big 10K race that I had this weekend. Totally dominated that race. I finished without stopping and in less time than I thought I would! I went at my own pace and it felt amazing. WOOT!
Sunday, while recovering from what I will call “the event that made my legs feel like uncooked spaghetti”, my roommate and I decided to make a Trader Joes list of things we would want to share in order to avoid the inevitable result of over purchasing- throwing away the food you couldnt get to before it went bad. Welp, our list actaulyl turned into a small jump around party when we deicded to we wanted to make homemade apple sauce… enter the best and easiest applesauce recipe ever. Now, it is important to note that pre-made apple sauce isn’t really my favorite, its a texture thing, just like oatmeal- ick. This applesauce however, was amazing.
The roommate found this awesome recipe, we went to TJs and bought what we needed (which wasn’t very much since the recipe was so easy and awesome!) and then went to town!
4 lbs Macintosh Apples
The peel of One Lemon
4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons of Ground Cinnamon
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of white sugar
1 cup of water
1) Wash apples and peel them (you can leave a little peel for extra flavor)
2) Cut and core apples and throw into large pot
3) Peel Lemon and throw peels into large pot
4) Add 4 Tablespoons of juice from the lemon
5) Add both sugars, water and cinnamon
6) Bring mixture to a boil on the stove top and then bring down to simmer and cover the pot
7) Let simmer for 30 mins
8) Remove lemon peels and mash apples while still in the pot
9) Enjoy hot or cool (I prefer hot!)
Star Fabulous Rating: 10/10 not exaggerating.. this is the best apple sauce I have ever eaten… no lies. I think the lemons are the secret (not so secret) ingredient!